Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Breastfeeding: The debate continues



            Many mothers swear by the convenience of formula feeding their child as opposed to breastfeeding them. I however, have been on both sides of the fence having formula fed my oldest. I would have to say that I strongly favor breastfeeding, not only for the bond but the true convenience, as well as the wonderful benefits.

With my oldest daughter I was uneducated, had very little support, and was a very tired young mother. I attempted to breastfeed my daughter, and did so for about three weeks. During that time, I was absolutely miserable. I didn't know how to soothe sore, cracked nipples; let alone how to achieve a proper latch that would make breastfeeding more comfortable. Not to mention many of my family members, as well as my own OB GYN, told me not to beat myself up over it and that the three weeks that I had breastfed was "good enough". I decided that day that I would switch to formula. 

My daughter's pediatrician told me that the formula was "just as good", so I didn't have any guilt whatsoever. Even though having to walk all the way downstairs was quite annoying, I started to get longer blocks of sleep at night. It also seemed more convenient because I wasn't battling to get a proper latch all night long anymore. It seemed so easy to just get up and mix some formula with warm water. Though formula feeding seemed so much easier, I faced many problems with it. The first formula that I introduced my daughter to was way too harsh on her stomach, so we spent the next three months trying to find one that would suffice. Also, my daughter developed a horrible acid reflux while being on formula that caused her to spit up three quarters of what she ate. Through the next year, I was not only giving my daughter something that only provided her a fraction of the nutrients that breast milk does, but I was also having to give her anti-reflux medication before every feeding. This is all something that I could have avoided, had I found the proper education to become a successful breastfeeding mother.

            Now I have a new baby and have been breastfeeding her since birth. However, this time around, my education on breastfeeding started the day I found out that I was pregnant with her. I was determined not to put my child through the same thing that her sister went through with formula. I also felt that my daughter deserved more than what formula could offer. Aside from that, so many mothers had told me about the bond that you get from breastfeeding your baby, a bond that couldn't be replaced by formula. When you breastfeed, your body releases Oxytocin, the same chemical released during intercourse. However, through my experience, breastfeeding is far from sexual. During breastfeeding, you feel incredibly relaxed; in the moment. Now let’s admit that during our busy schedules as moms, we are rarely "in the moment". Being in this state of extreme relaxation helps you to only focus on your baby, not to mention making any worries you had nearly non existent.

Now if anyone has ever told you that formula feeding is more convenient, they are wrong! Since I have been breastfeeding, I discovered the secret to a good night’s sleep. Co-sleeping with your baby! With my oldest daughter, I was always so exhausted from getting out of bed each time she woke up and staying awake the whole time she ate. With my youngest daughter I decided I wasn't going make this any harder on myself, so I decided that she would sleep with me. Now this isn't for everyone, especially if you are a deep sleeper, so use extreme caution if you decide to co-sleep with your infant. Co-sleeping made breastfeeding so easy for me; I just latched her on and let her eat while I went back to sleep. Now I'll be honest, in the beginning it was difficult trying to fight through the pain that is associated with breastfeeding when you first start. However, I now possess the necessary knowledge to be a successful breast feeder. I used ice packs, hot packs, hot tea bags, lanolin, you name it, and I finally made it through the pain. Now that my daughter is slightly older, she latches on herself so I rarely ever wake up during the night. A well rested momma and a full baby equals a great day. 

Breastfeeding is also the most nutritional choice for your baby. WebMD states that, "Breast milk provides the ideal nutrition for infants. It has the perfect mix of vitamins, protein, and fat -- everything your infant needs to grow. And it's all provided in a form more easily digested than infant formula. Breast milk contains antibodies that help your baby fight off viruses and bacteria. Breastfeeding reduces your baby's risk of having asthma or allergies. Babies who are breastfed exclusively for the first six months, without any formula, have fewer ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and bouts of diarrhea". Breastfed babies also usually gain the right amount of weight, because it is more work for their jaws to suckle so they only eat until full. Now with formula, the bottles kind of do the work for the baby as the formula usually comes out on its own, and at a rapid pace. When a baby drinks from a bottle, little effort is needed, not to mention their brains don’t get the chance to tell them they are full until they have already eaten too much. Therefore, many formula-fed babies tend to spit up more, as well gaining too much weight, too fast. Breastfeeding has benefits for moms as well. A breastfeeding mom tends to lose pregnancy weight quicker. Breastfeeding also lowers a mother's risk of breast and ovarian cancer. Did I mention you save hundreds of dollars in formula and bottles?

            Now you see that there are far more benefits to breastfeeding and it’s all around "better" for both you and the baby. If you don't believe me, here is a statement from the World Health Organization: "Breastfeeding is the normal way of providing young infants with the nutrients they need for healthy growth and development. Virtually all mothers can breastfeed, provided they have accurate information, and the support of their family, the health care system and society at large," and, "Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond." This is all I need to know, that breast really is best and my children deserve the best. I mean, who wouldn't want to save money, or lose weight faster? As I said before, the bond is something that you can't replace. I love my oldest daughter with all of my heart. However, the bond that she and I share is very different from the bond that my breastfeeding daughter and I share. I will continue to breastfeed my youngest, and any children I have in the future, because I feel they deserve the best. Breastfeeding is highly superior to formula no matter how you look at it; you can't debate personal opinion with the facts.




References:


1) Statements from the WebMD can be found at:

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/breastfeeding-9/nursing-basics


2) Statements as well as facts can be found at the WHO website at:

http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/

No comments:

Post a Comment